A presentation by Gabriel Reyes
Gabriel Reyes is considered one of the pioneers of Hispanic marketing in the Entertainment Industry. He has been featured on CNN’s Latino in America as well as one of the “50 Most Powerful Latinos in Hollywood” by The Hollywood Reporter as well as the “100 Most Influential Latinos” by Hispanic Business Magazine. Reyes is President and Founder of Reyes Entertainment, one of the premier marketing and public relations firms focused on the bilingual media market and a professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He has represented major studios, major networks, major artists and mainstream shows. Gabriel is from Pharr, Texas, in the Valley. He attended UT Austin and has a degree in Fine Arts. After graduation, he became an actor, a model, and a dancer. He has owned Reyes Entertainment for over fifteen years.
His presentation at the Constant Contact “Get Down to Business” seminar in Austin, Texas, on May 20, 2011, focused on how business owners can aggregate more Hispanic consumers into their businesses.
THE HISPANIC MARKET IS GROWING EXPONENTIALLY
- Why do we want to engage the growing Tejano market?
- It is the fastest-growing, youngest consumer group in Texas.
- It is growing 4 to 5 times faster than other groups.
- There are over 50,000,000 people in this market.
- The median age is 25 compared to 35 for non-Hispanics and these statistics are driven by native birth, not by immigration.
WHERE IS THE HISPANIC MARKET IN TEXAS?
In 2000, there were 20,000,000 people in Texas, 32% Hispanics
In 2010, there were 25,000,000 people in Texas, 38% Hispanics
- Ft. Worth – 27% Hispanic
- Dallas – 38% Hispanic
- Harris County – 41% Hispanic
- San Antonio – 60% Hispanic
- El Paso – 82% Hispanic
- Rio Grande Valley – 91 to 98% Hispanic
IMPORTANT FACTS TO REMEMBER WHEN MARKETING DIRECTLY TO HISPANICS:
- Hispanics are brand loyal
- Hispanics typically have large, multi-generational households, so marketing, baby products, for example, would be wise
- Utilize social media to market to Hispanics; Latinos have a strong presence on FB, YouTube, and Twitter
- Hispanics have become top adapters, especially in mobile usage
- Event marketing – parties are big.
- Use a bilingual outreach by offering both Spanish and English messages
WHEN IS IT BEST TO MARKET TO THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY?
It is always a good time to market to the Hispanic community.
Then establish constant contact with the Latino community in your market areas by reaching out to:
- Traditional Hispanic media outlets
- Hispanic influencers (For example, Perez Hilton)
- Latino businesses, communities, students and members of other grassroots organizations
- Latino target groups such as Latino moms, teens, men, girls
Many holidays are observed in the Hispanic community including, but not limited to:
- March 31 – Cesar Chavez
- May 5 – Cinco de Mayo
- Sept. 15 – Mexican Independence Day
- September 15 – October 15 – Hispanic Heritage Month
- Nov. 2 – Dia de los Muertos
- Dec. 12 – Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Dec. 12 – 24 – Posadas Season and Nochebuena (Holy Night)
CASE STUDY – THE LONGORIA AFFAIR
The Longoria Affair is the store of discrimination regarding a returning veteran after WWII – Three Rivers.
The URLs for Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the Longoria Affair are: